Thursday, June 11, 2009

Leo the Lap-Leopard

A few weeks ago I was introduced to "Leo" by Shannon, a family friend. That was the first time I had heard of the Lap-Leopard, or Bengal breed of cat. The breed came from selective breeding of the Asian leopard cat and a domesticated cat through at least four generations. The result is a beautifully marked leopard-looking cat with a mellow, loving, playful personality. As Leo lay draped across Shannon's shoulder, he was purring. If only my painting had sound, you would hear his song

After meeting and painting Leo, I wanted to learn more about the breed. I "googled" and found several sites with good photos of Bengal Cats. The coloration of a Bengal may be brown, snow, or silver. The markings may be typical Leopard spots or a beautiful marbling.

I found many sources of information about the Lap-Leopard/Bengal Cat on the Internet. www.SantaFeCattery.com, www.pet-net.net/surprisevalley/aboutbengals, and www.kittysites/breed/bengal are three sites I "googled". There are many more with great kitty photos.

No comments: